Sunday, September 14, 2008

My Best Friend




"As we pass through the phases of our lives, we lose certain friends along the way. But those who travel with us, sharing our personal journeys, reveling in our private growth, are much more than friends. They are our sisters."



Well...enough said. And I could just stop there. That quote, says pretty much what I am saying, but I just can't help it, I have to expound on it a bit. I have to brag a bit and share my blessings and my joy they have brought me. You see I have this friend, and she's my best friend. She and I have been best friends for almost twenty years (yeah girl...it has been that long) . In that twenty years time we have only lived in the same place for about three years, but those three years seemed to last a lifetime and gave us a lifetime of memories. Since then we have been about as far away from each other in distance as we can get, I was in Missouri and she was in Germany, then in Iraq, and Iraq is always as far as one can get from the ones they love! But no matter how long since our last talk (sometimes months, and months) no matter how far away (sometimes thousands of miles), we always pick back up right where we left off. We don't miss a beat. Like no time has passed and no miles have crossed. In the recent year I have had the joy of getting her back in my life ...and we have grown closer and are enjoying this time in our lives where we get the opportunity to be mommies together. She is an hour away (which is still too far), and always just a phone call away, a text, an email, a MS message... And I appreciate and love her even more these recent days because I have realized the true value of a true friend. There is no replacement, no substitutions, no imitation. She is my girl- let me tell you a bit about her: She shoots it straight from the hip, but straight from the heart. She's a no nonsense kind of girl, no drama, no jealousy, no competition, no betrayal-ever. She is a mans woman just like me, 'lets just skip over the petty stuff and get on with real life and real relationships', and I LOVE her for it! She knows me at my worst, and sees me always at my best, or what my best can be. She rants with me when I need to rant, cries with me when I need to cry, she dreams my dreams with me and tells me I can have them. She'd fight for me, she'd fight beside me, but in twenty years I can not remember a time that we fought each other. She keeps me accountable, she's no pushover. She is the person that with one call would come get me in the middle of the night, in the middle of a storm, in the middle of my worst day, without explanation, without question she would be there, even if she was on her last tank of gas, down to her last dollar. She would offer me her shirt, her shoes, her home, her shoulder... And she knows that I would be there for her just the same. And there have just been allot of moments lately that I have been reminded of why she is my best friend! We are getting into a new area of our friendship, we now share in the experience of motherhood, which for some reason neither one of us ever thought we would share...why I don't know. maybe because I was married so long before she settled down, maybe because our lives seemed at times to be going in total opposite directions...and yet here we are with two little boys that are three and a half months apart and we are just sure that they are going to be best friends too, whether they like it or not! Ha Ha :~) Just one more thing we get to experience together and share in the joys togehter... Yes, she is my best friend, she is my sister and I am so glad to have her back within my reach and in my everyday life again! Love you Bridge~ looking forward to the next twenty years of laughs, tears and friendship with you. And birthday parties and playdates with our babies.



Love~Teresa

1 comment:

bridgetmcclure said...

When I read this earlier today I was in awe of how well you explained our friendship and I couldn't stop thinking about it all day. I decided not to write back earlier so that I would have time to think about it all (and stop crying). :) So, now after hours of contemplation I am able to write what I think.
Of course I realize that we have been friends for almost 20 years, and wow the things that transpired during that time! We have led almost exact opposite adult lives until this year. I have been so many different places and met more people than I could ever recall (not that I would want to recall them all). None of those even hold a candle to the friendship that we have had for all this time. You are the closest person to me after my mom and I don't even know how to express what that has meant to me. I have never been able to be very emotional, but after having Stanley I seem to be getting better at it, LOL!
I just want you to know that you make my life easier to live everyday by just knowing that you are there if I need you, whether things are good or bad you never judge me or ridicule me. You have seen me through every life crisis and blessing I've ever had and I hope that I can do the same for you.
Although the most exciting part is not our long history, but instead it lies in our long future. I am always so amazed at how you are as a mother and I aspire to be as good at this as you are. (I have a feeling I'm going to be a whole lot meaner! LOL) The fact that our kids will be able to be relatively close to each other is so wonderful and couldn't have been planned any better. Now if I could just get you guys to move closer!!!! :)
Well girl, I love you, your silly husband, and your two amazing kids with all my heart. If any of you ever need anything I will always be here. And there are many more memories to be made!